Better Clients Part 1: How NOT to Hate Your Clients
Guest: Kathryn Langsford
Owner of Photos by Kathryn
DATE: September 01, 2022
Wait, why would we ever hate our clients? They support us and pay money for our services, what more could we want?
You’d be surprised how easy it is to get into a negative relationship with a client and almost always, it’s not the client’s fault.
It sounds something like this:
- “What does she (client) expect when she only paid $X?”
(you discounted when you shouldn’t have or your prices are too low resulting in client resentment)
- “Ok, I’ll do it just this once, but I normally never do this.”
(you’re breaking your own rules and will resent the client later)
- “Why do they keep asking for digital files only?!?!?”
(you’re not educating your client properly about your products and process)
The good news is, if it’s OUR FAULT we have the power to change it.
It all boils down to how we DECIDE to run our business and in today’s episode Kathryn Langsford joins us for a conversation on ways to not hate your clients.
In this episode, you will learn how to:
- Educate your clients effectively
- Stay firm on your rules
- Be clear and concise about your process
- Work your way while also making clients happy
Here’s a glance at this episode:
- [3:09] – Sometimes we get into a position where we hate our clients.
- [4:50] – Ultimately, a lot of these problems go back to the client not having enough information.
- [5:57] – What is the death spiral?
- [7:07] – Information needs to be well thought out and not rushed.
- [8:02] – If you and the client are not on the same page, there’s an issue with the processes in your business.
- [9:47] – You can work the way you want while also making clients happy.
- [10:58] – Clients might think they know what they want, but it is up to you to educate them.
- [11:56] – Some clients have more opinions than others.
- [12:45] – You have to show your expertise to allow the client to relax. This makes decisions easier to make.
- [15:18] – Kathryn didn’t believe any of these things would work so over the years, she had to force herself to try them.
- [17:28] – Clients know ahead of time what to expect and Kathryn asks for clarity when they request something additional in the session.
- [18:54] – Educating the client is the way you make sure that they know exactly what we’re doing.
- [20:07] – Another reason we may hate a client is when clients break our rules.
- [21:08] – Kathryn is exclusively a black and white photographer. She shares a recent experience where she had to say no to color art.
- [23:30] – If you say yes to something now, it makes it difficult to say no later.
- [25:27] – Clients are just asking. It is okay to say no.
- [26:08] – If you are hating clients, there is something that you are doing wrong.
Links and Resources:
Download a Transcript
Website | Instagram
Do The ReWork
Website | Instagram