Be More You. Louder.
Guest: Debbie McFarland
Owner | The Studio at Cedar Hill
DATE: March 16, 2023
Debbie McFarland wears many hats. She’s a portrait photographer, she runs amazing Teen Empowerment Workshops, and is the founder of Sparks of Kindness, an online community whose goal is to make the world a kinder place. Oh, and she has also raised six kids (nbd)!
As a fellow artist, you can probably relate to having this many irons in the creative fire. Most photographers I meet have multiple projects, both personal and professional, going at the same time and Debbie is a perfect example of that.
For years, Debbie saw these different interests as separate from one another. What did her FB group have to do with Teen Empowerment? How did raising a pack of great kids impact her work as a portrait photographer?
Recently, Debbie’s world was rocked (in a good way) when she had the realization that what all of these projects had in common was HER!
Her heart for kids (especially teens); her love of spreading kindness (to self and others) and her passion for authentic portraiture. She wove all the threads together in a way that has made her heart, soul, and business whole and happy in a way she didn’t know was possible and I can’t wait for you to hear how she did it.
As a business owner for 25 years, Debbie shares that she is more excited and passionate than ever about her business because she has incorporated her whole heart and soul into every part of her business; creating a brand that stands out in her community. These eye-opening experiences have taught her the value in being herself. Louder.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- How our self-worth impacts our business.
- The reason many photographers throw in the towel before seeing success.
- The importance of community building and helping others see their value.
- How you can amplify exactly who you are.
Here’s a glance at this episode:
- [02:41] – Debbie begins describing her journey raising 6 children and owning a business for 25 years. She has a lot of new projects underway that are making a huge impact.
- [04:10] – Through her experience, Debbie has seen a lot of change in the industry.
- [05:43] – Because of the shift to digital photography, Debbie saw a decline in sales.
- [06:41] – Debbie shares the last straw for her and her initial thoughts of throwing in the towel.
- [08:42] – She always had a consultation process but in the beginning, the discussion wasn’t about the plans for where it will be in the home.
- [11:51] – There is an evolution to how we run our businesses. We try different things and incorporate bits and pieces of what works.
- [13:45] – We make tragic decisions when the industry changes.
- [15:42] – Debbie shares an eye opening experience that proved the importance of showing people how beautiful they are.
- [18:07] – Portrait sessions are an experience worth remembering.
- [19:13] – Debbie explains the Tween Empowerment Workshops she hosts.
- [20:58] – You are not just taking photos. You are solving so many problems for this family.
- [22:36] – The real value is that you show people their own value.
- [24:12] – Debbie admits that she struggled with finding a niche, but she learned that she needs to just be herself and the niche follows.
- [25:44] – We can only be ourselves.
- [26:57] – Amplify exactly who you are.
- [29:05] – When we see something that works for someone else, we think of the reasons we can’t do the same thing.
Links and Resources:
Download a Transcript
Website | LinkedIn
Do The ReWork
Website | Instagram