Marketing is, hands down, one of the most requested discussion topics here on The ReWork. Why? Because marketing is hard! And it takes a lot of time, energy, and you never really know what is going to work. Especially in uncertain economic times, it can be difficult to know where to spend your marketing time and money.
That’s why Drake Busath is joining the podcast today. The gold standard of portrait photography in Salt Lake City, Busath Photography has been in business for 50 years.
Drake purchased the business from his parents and his boys are now the third generation photographers to take over the studio.
With all that experience, Drake knows a thing or two about marketing through both good economic times and bad. He’s done it all and he’s found several sure-fire ways to keep his brand at the forefront of the market in his area for the 40+ years he has been in the studio.
So listen on to find out what is working in marketing portraits right now.
In this episode, you’ll learn how to:
- Map out email campaigns for the whole year.
- Run children’s events to get new families in the door.
- Design promotions that are on-brand.
- Create eye-catching mailers that showcase quality.
- Try new things and see if they are sustainable.
Here’s a glance at this episode:
- [03:15] – In the 40 years of his career, Drake has been through a booming economy and recessions.
- [04:19] – Drake shares the promotion driven style of email marketing and the efforts surrounding mailings that clients interact with.
- [07:10] – Drake’s studio does a Children’s Day event a few times a year to drive new young families coming in.
- [08:54] – It’s important to show products and not just images.
- [10:17] – Drake can’t maintain email promotions and stay consistent on his own.
- [12:03] – Employees can dual task, especially receptionists who are the first to talk to clients on the phone.
- [14:27] – One of the ways Drake keeps these children’s events on brand is to keep them themed by season, not holidays.
- [17:08] – These events differ from mini-sessions by being during the week and by being on site.
- [19:34] – After these events, families come back to the studio to order, just like regular sessions.
- [21:41] – Using Mailchimp, Drake has a team member build campaigns and schedule them out at the beginning of the year.
- [22:57] – Drake continues to use mailers as they have been successful through the years. He combines promotional deals and attractive design.
- [26:19] – The family sessions that include a high school graduate are typically the best clients for Busath Photography.
- [27:51] – This year, Drake is promoting an album with high school graduation sessions to include the variety they are shooting.
- [30:47] – Drake shares some exceptions he makes and some of the times he caves for certain client requests.
- [32:46] – Every other year, Drake sends out a catalog for services and products.
- [34:22] – Busath Photography offers a lot of different services and the catalog listings are powerful as a mailer and to have around the studio.
- [37:18] – The catalog is very attractive and acts as a brand ambassador.
- [39:20] – Be hesitant to say that something is free. Clients have to earn these promotions.
- [41:07] – Reach out to Drake through his website to get a copy of his catalog.
- [43:19] – You can’t do everything. Choose the marketing platforms that work for you.
- [45:00] – You will try something that will be successful for a while but isn’t sustainable.
- [46:21] – Plan to have a good website designed as it has been the best advertising for Busath.
- [47:32] – Room view images have been impactful.
- [49:42] – Drake and Allison have teamed up for an amazing opportunity in France.
- [54:01] – Drake does workshops in Italy as well which you can find out more about by clicking here.
- [59:26] – In the current economy, things can be tough, but Drake and Allison are seeing some good trends.
Links and Resources:
Download a Transcript
Website | Instagram | Italy Workshops
Do The ReWork
Website | Instagram
Allison Tyler Jones
Website | Instagram | LinkedIn