Embracing the Expert in You
Guest: Iryna Sosnovska
Owner | Iryna Sosnovska Photography
New York, New York
DATE: August 4, 2022
After one year of podcasting and online educating, I have made a powerful discovery. Probably the biggest single stumbling block for most photographers is NOT what I thought it would be.
-Pricing too low (although, that IS a problem)
-Confusing Branding (yep, that’s an issue as well)
No, the single, biggest issue for most photographers is the naked fear of expressing their opinions to clients; advising them, telling them “How I would do it if these were portraits of my family” and truly becoming the expert we already ARE.
Instead, so many of us have been beaten down by antiquated notions like, “The customer is always right.” Our clients don’t know our business, they are relying on us to help them navigate EVERYTHING from what to wear to where to hang that gorgeously lit portrait you just captured.
Instead of confidently letting our clients know, “This is how the process works,” we beat around the bush hemming and hawing and back-tracking. It sounds something like, “Well, normally we do it this way, unless you don’t like that and then we will do it however you think.” In the end, we’ve failed to benefit our clients or our businesses to the best of our ability.
If I had one word to sum up today’s guest, it would be BRAVE. She learned to embrace her inner expert and because of that, the big moves and risks she has taken in her life and business are paying off. Iryna Soznovska is a portrait photographer in Manhattan, New York and she opened her studio in the middle of a global pandemic. A native of Ukraine and an adventurous former photojournalist, Iryna knows that things can get scary in a world of unknowns. But as a member of the Mindshift Membership Group and a student of The Art of Selling Art course, she has become an integral part of the ReWork family and has not only embraced her own expertise, but her clients are experiencing it, too.
So how can you embrace your inner expert?
In this episode, you will learn how to:
- Overcome the fear of guiding clients through your process
- Show up confidently in your expertise
- Focus on the positives instead of the unknowns
- Educate your clients early and often about how your talent and their needs intersect to create something truly unique for them.
Here’s a glance at this episode:
- [2:10] – Iryna has been an integral part of the ReWork family and she has made some really big moves in her business.
- [3:18] – She is thriving in spite of huge challenges.
- [4:22] – As an adventurous photojournalist, Iryna spent time in other countries but relocated to New York 11 years ago.
- [6:53] – Iryna’s ultimate goal is to become more well-known in her market. To do this, she has increased her social media presence.
- [8:27] – The essential nature of social media in Iryna’s world.
- [9:49] – Being intentional with your social media posting.
- [11:00] – Message first and then find a photograph to illustrates your concept.
- [12:30] – Post with photos of yourself and the behind-the-scenes work.
- [14:15] – When clients are fascinated, feed their curiosity about what you do and embrace your expertise.
- [16:01] – The biggest lesson Iryna learned from The Art of Selling Art course.
- [17:23] – She was always honest, but now she is more straightforward. She is no longer afraid to talk about pricing, but instead she is proud.
- [19:40] – Clients realize that it isn’t just about the photos. It’s about them and their family.
- [22:19] – By being more straightforward, she becomes a guide through the process.
- [24:27] – Be honest with your opinion rather than telling the client everything looks good.
- [25:41] – Iryna shares her advice for new business owners and established photographers.
- [28:53] – Iryna’s drive has come from her intense desire to reach her goals.
- [30:28] – You can look through the lens of fear or optimism.
- [31:58] – A lot of people are scared right now because of all the “unknowns” in the world. But Iryna will thrive.
- [33:31] – Everything comes at a price. Even time.
Links and Resources:
Download a Transcript
Website | Instagram
Do The ReWork
Website | Instagram